The National Livestock Mission (NLM) is designed by Govt. of India to implement the Central Sector (CS) and Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS) of Government of India throughout India in accordance with general financial provision of 90% (Central Share): 10% (State Share) of Project Cost and additionally under revised version of July,2021 Operational Guideline of Realigned National Livestock Mission Scheme (2021-2026) of 100% Central assistance in some of the activities (Assistance for quality fodder seed production; R & D and Innovations and Honorarium and Publicity under Livestock Insurance) with support of 50% subsidy for entrepreneurial promotion upto ceiling limit of Rs 50.00 lakh. The pattern of assistance remains the same for Livestock Insurance – APL category: 35% (CS) - 25% (SS) - 40% (BS) and BPL/SC/ST: 50% (CS) - 30% (SS) - 20% (BS).
Major Objectives of NLM-
- Employment generation through entrepreneurship development in pig, poultry, small ruminant and fodder sector.
- Increase of per animal productivity through breed improvement and increase in milk, meat and egg production with propagation of Artificial Insemination and import of live germplasm for Sheep, Goat and Pig.
- Increasing feed and fodder availability through strengthening of supply chain, availability of certified fodder seeds and encouraging establishment of fodder processing units.
- Promoting risk management measures including livestock insurance for farmers.
- Promoting applied research in prioritized areas of poultry, sheep, goat, feed and fodder.
- Promoting skill based training and dissemination of technologies through capacity building of state functionaries and livestock owners through strengthened extension machinery.
NLM has been formulated by subsuming both Central Sector and Centrally Sponsored Schemes under Mission Module.
The Central Sector Scheme aims at Entrepreneurship Development through,
- Entrepreneurship For Rural Poultry
- Entrepreneurship For Sheep and Goat Farming
- Promotion of Piggery Entrepreneur
- Entrepreneurial Activities in Feed and Fodder
The Centrally Sponsored Schemes are:
- Genetic Improvement of Sheep and Goat Breeds through,
- Establishment of Regional Semen Production Laboratory and Semen Bank for sheep and goat
- Establishment of State Semen Bank
- Propagation of Artificial Insemination through existing cattle and buffalo Artificial Insemination centres
- Import of Exotic Sheep and Goat Germplasm
- Genetic Improvement of Pig Breeds through,
- Establishment of Pig Semen Collection & Processing Lab
- Import of Exotic Pig Germplasm
- Assistance for quality Fodder seed production
- Research & Development and Innovation
- Extension Activities
Whom to contact
Dr. Bazrul Islam
Officers Training Institute
GS Road, Khanapara 22
Phone No.: 9435550937