The Veterinary Sector of Assam was initially under the administration of the Superintendent of Civil Veterinary Department. This department was divided into two zones. Jorhat was considered as upper Assam Circle and Guwahati as lower Assam Circle. Till 1940, it was headed by the Veterinary Inspector.
Till 1940, the Veterinary Assistant Surgeons and Supervisory Field Assistants used to work in the dispensaries under the Veterinary Inspector. The Veterinary Inspector was responsible for regular inspection of Veterinary Dispensaries. The first Veterinary Dispensary was established in 1905 at Chenikuthi, Guwahati.
The Department then came under Director of Veterinary with District Veterinary Officers in the District level. In 1950, the present administrative setup of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Department, Assam came into effect.