Directorate of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary is one of the major departments under the Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary, Government of Assam. The Directorate has its headquarters at Chenikuthi, Guwahati. The Directorate has five zones i.e. Guwahati, Kokrajhar, Tezpur, Jorhat and Silchar to render services throughout the state.
- To improve training of Veterinary doctors as well as Para-Vets
- To improve veterinary research in the state
- To reduce disease occurrence and mortality of livestock and birds through timely preventive and curative measures.
- To increase crossbred livestock population through induction and upgradation programme.
- To establish and popularise backyard farming of poultry and other birds.
- To popularise small ruminants and piggery farming.
- To educate farmers on various aspects of livestock management, including fodder cultivation
- To render extension services in order to provide self employment opportunities amongst unemployed youths and under privileged of the state.